In July, we discussed the concept of using two of 4D's powerful built-in features, subfiles and relational lookups, to improve performance. In August, we continued our review with seven powerful uses of 4D Choice Lists. This month, we are continuing this examination with a discussion of the advantages of using 4D Server/4D Client for multi-user development.
This 4D Server review is in three parts:
• Part 1 - Advantages of 4D Server Development
• Part 2 - Setting Up a Multi-Developer 4D Password System
• Part 3 - Naming Conventions for Multi-Developer 4D Projects
Let's continue with Part 3 of our discussion: Naming Conventions for Multi-Developer 4D Projects. In this section, we will cover the following topics:
• Why have naming conventions?
• General Conventions for naming objects
• Conventions for naming Files and Fields
• Conventions for naming Variables
• Conventions for naming Procedures
• Conventions for naming Layouts