4D v11 SQL introduces new keyboard shortcuts. This change may affect a developer's work habits greatly as these new shortcuts will need to be learned and memorized which takes some time to do. Forecasting this possible inconvenience, 4D engineers have included a way to modify the shortcuts to tailor to each developer’s needs. The changing of keyboard shortcuts can be done through the 4DShortcuts.xml file. This file is located in the "4D Extensions" folder, located inside the 4D Developer application package on the Mac and in the same directory as the 4D Developer.exe file on the PC.
By default hitting control+P on a PC within a method editor will print the method. In previous versions, control+P opened a method currently highlighted. To change the functionality back to the latter:
- Shut down 4D Developer.
- Make a copy of the 4DShortcuts.xml file. (Always backup)
- Open the original 4DShortucts.xml file using a text editor, such as Notepad or Textedit.
- Look for the shortcut element that has the name attribute value "OpenMethod".
- Change the letter attribute from "K" to "P".
- In addition, make sure that the "P" shortcut is not already used. In this case, "P" was initially used to print, thus change the shortcut element with the attribute name of "Print" and change letter attribute from "P" to "K".
- Save the file.
- Launch 4D Developer and test the changes.